2017-2018 Application Cycle will open 1/1/2017
- Gather all of your required documents:
- Admission Essay: 1-2 pages on why you would like to attend the Paramedic Academy.
- Current resume.
- Copy of highest EMS certification.
- Copy of AHA CPR Credential (Must be good through the end of the Paramedic Academy). Only AHA certifications are accepted.
- Copy of college transcripts (Online “Unofficial” OK).
- Copy of previous college degree (If applicable).
- ALEKS Placement Exam scores (If no degree).
- Passport style digital photo (Head shot).
- Driving Record / Background check from AK State Troopers
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Documentation of all vaccinations or titers if applicable: Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) (2 shot series), Varicella (2 shot series or blood test to confirm you had the disease as a child), Hepatitis B series (show proof of Hepatitis B immunity or have started the vaccination series).
- Once you have ALL of the documents, complete the online application found on the Paramedic Academy website. Incomplete applications WILL NOT be reviewed. Application Deadline is 4/15/2017! It is strongly recommended that you complete the application process early! Applications will be reviewed and interviews will take place in March and May.
- After your application is reviewed, we will contact you via email, with directions on submitting three letters of recommendation. It is recommended that at least one reference is from someone who is familiar with your experience in EMS and one from an EMS instructor. Instructions for submission will be available on the Paramedic Academy website when the application cycle opens.
- We will contact you to schedule the FISDAP Entrance Exam and with information on how to complete the background check. There is a charge for the placement exam of $25 that is paid directly to FISDAP at the time
- Once we have received your letters of recommendation and you have completed the FISDAP entrance exam your application will be reviewed. We will notify you of potential dates/times for an in-person interview. The interview committee will be comprised (at a minimum) of the program coordinator, medical director, and a program graduate. These interviews will be available via video or voice conferencing for students who are not able to attend in person. All parts of the application process MUST be completed NO LATER THAN 5/13/2017.
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the program as soon as possible after the interview process, but NO LATER THAN June 1, 2017.
UAF CTC Paramedic Academy Application Point System
ATTEND PARAMEDIC ACADEMY INFORMATION SESSION
|Attend Information Session||1 Point|
HIGHEST EARNED NATIONAL EMS CERTIFICATION
|Current NREMT EMT Certification:||2 Points|
|Current NREMT AEMT Certification:||4 Points|
Must be verified by a letter from the agency/agencies at which you have worked or volunteered. This MUST BE EMS experience on an ambulance.
|1 Full Year – 3 Full Years||1 Point|
|3 Full Years – 5 Full Years||2 Point|
|5 Years Plus||3 Points|
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
|Completed 1 semester Anatomy and Physiology course WITH associated lab.||1 Point|
|Completed 2 semester Anatomy and Physiology WITH associated lab (Must have “C” or better in both semesters. Must cover entire human body.)||4 Points|
|ALEKS Math Placement of 60 or higher||2 Points|
|Completed (or have equivalent transfer) of DEVM 105 or higher||2 Points|
|Completed Associate’s Degree||2 Points|
|Completed Bachelor’s Degree or higher||4 Points|
|Completed ALL degree requirements for Paramedicine AAS Degree||4 Points|
FISDAP PLACEMENT EXAM
Points are awarded in each of the 4 categories – Anatomy and Physiology, Math, EMT Knowledge, and Reading Comprehension.
|80% – 85%||1 Point|
Maximum Possible points: 30 (AEMT with 5+ years of who has completed all of the requirements for the AAS in Paramedicine degree, 2 semester A&P course with labs, and scores over a 90% in all placement exam categories.